Where It Started
History of Midwest Fence
Family Owned Since 1947
In the 1930s, Mr. Everett L. Bell and Mr. "Bud" Hawkins worked together at Chicago Fence & Equipment Co. located at 4400 Addison in Chicago. At the time, Mr. Hawkins worked in a managerial position, and Mr. Bell was a superintendent. In the 1940s, they both left their job to start a company of their own and in 1947, Midwest Fence Corporation was founded.
In the beginning, they rented a building on Kedzie, and in the 1950’s they purchased 815 Kedzie, and set up shop.
In 1960, they went on to purchase both Chainlink Fence Corp. and Chicago Fence & Equipment, where they both had previously worked.
Eventually in the early 1970s, Everett L. Bell bought out Bud Hawkins after his retirement. His sons Everett A. Bell 'Boo/Butch', and Tom 'The Bear' Bell took over. Also during this time, two of Tom Bell’s sons, Tim and Mark Bell, joined Midwest Fence.
In 1979 they bought 900 N Kedzie, which is right across the street from their original shop and this is still the main building for Midwest Fence to this day.
In the 1980’s, Everett and John (Butch Bell) joined, and the 4 sons grew the business to what it is today.
They purchased a satellite yard in 1992 as their guardrail business expanded, and then in 2005 they bought another building on Grand & Kedzie to further store their growing fleet and materials.
75 years later and the company is still family-owned, spanning 4 generations.